Our family

Our family

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Stockings for Kids

This morning on the news, they did a story on kids in foster care waiting to be adopted.  It's heartbreaking to think of all these kids without a family at the holidays.  They said most of the kids put on their Christmas list that they want a family.  The news station announced they were going to be at the Ft. Union Target today from 8 am - 2 pm hosting Stockings for Kids.  You could go get a name of a child in foster care and fill a stocking for them.  I decided this sounded like the perfect plan for Eaen & I today!  After we ran a few last minute errands around our house, we headed out to Ft. Union.  Eaen fell asleep on the drive there & I had to wake him up when we got there, which meant he was not in the greatest of moods! 



We quickly found the table where they were setup and got the information on our kid and stocking.  We got a 13-yr-old girl named Acshley.  It said she loves animals, sewing & crafts.  The only item she asked for was a gift card for clothes.  Although we were only asked to fill their stockings and they were going to hold another event to shop for the gifts, I decided to include a gift card in the stocking.  I enjoyed shopping and trying to pick things out for a girl that age.  Eaen wasn't entirely thrilled, but he picked out a glitter wand that lit up and enjoyed playing with it until it was time to put in the stocking. 


 

 













The nice lady from the news station offered to take a picture of the two of us with the stocking, but Eaen decided to be shy and started to have a melt down.  So, I got a picture of the two of us the best I could.  I'm so glad we had this opportunity!  It always makes the holiday season complete when we can bring joy to someone who might not otherwise get a Christmas!  With all we are blessed with, it is only fitting to give some of it to the less fortunate.  It broke my heart to ready little Acshley's story and know she was desperately looking for a permanent family!  I wish we could do more!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment